Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bye Bye Diapers!

So, some of you have been wondering why I have been a little MIA lately and I assure you I have a very good reason. I am happy to announce that I just finished day 3 of potty training with Jane and things are going pretty well. I think that if things keep improving as they have been, that I can officially say that Jane is all done with diapers...I hope I'm not speaking too soon. I know that there will be some rough times ahead still and some set backs, but I'm hoping that the hardest days are over...

So here is the current bathroom setup:


Jane loves using the new Dora toilet seat instead of a potty chair. Also, the baby gate has been a big help because it keeps Maren out and Jane in. You'll notice that I've got the Clorox wipes handy for quick clean ups. Also, we now have a stool in front of the sink as well so that Jane can climb on and off the toilet by herself and up and down from the sink to wash her hands all by herself.


Here's a summary of how things have been going so far:

Day 1: We sat on the couch most of the day watching movies. Jane was sitting and a folded up towel (to make accidents less messy) in a t-shirt and her princess underwear. I would sit right next to her and every two minutes ask Jane if she was staying dry. Then we would set the timer for 15 minutes after every time she went to the bathroom on the toilet and for only 10 minutes if she sat on the toilet without going. She wears "sleepy time panties" aka Pull Ups while she naps and at night. We had about a 50% success rate over all and it felt like we were in the bathroom ALL DAY!


Day 2: Similar to Day 1, with a few improvements. She had fewer accidents over all and she didn't have to only stay on the couch, meaning she could get up and play without having too many accidents. The other improvement is most of the times that she went to the bathroom on the toilet, she would go pee as soon as she sat down instead of just eventually going after sitting on the toilet for like 10 minutes, which showed me that she was learning how to hold it.


Day 3: We had a bad morning, but then it got a lot better as the day went on. Jane has gone number 2 on the toilet a couple of times throughout these three days which is exciting. She went for stretches of 30 to 40 minutes staying dry. She still had several accidents today, but I'd say she had about an 80 - 85 % success rate. She always does a great job of helping me clean up her accidents and she has fun picking her potty treat after she has a successful trip to the bathroom. I ordered an Elmo potty video and I told her the Potty Fairy has a present for her as soon as she can go all day with no accidents. Now I know Jane doesn't exactly know what all day is, so the "Potty Fairy" will just give it to her soon once she is doing a really great job.


Anyway, wish me luck and let me know of any tips or advice you may have. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and pep talks so far. I'm sure I'm going to be needing more. Hopefully life will be getting a little more back to normal now, and I'll be able to keep up on my blogging.

No comments: