Friday, March 27, 2009

Dinner, Dessert, and a Movie

It's Friday night so I thought an appropriate blog would be a stay-at-home date:

DINNER:

Mini-Meatloaves in a Muffin Tin


1 cup bread crumbs (Italian-style seasoned recommended)
1/2 cup milk (skim milk recommended)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup carrot or sweet potato puree
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper


Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x5 inch loaf pan or muffin tins with cooking spray. In a large bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk. Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 7-10 minutes. Add the celery and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer. Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the turkey, Parmesan, carrot puree, ketchup, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Turn the mixture into the loaf pan or muffin tin. Use your thumb or a spoon to make indents in each tin and put a dollop of your favorite BBQ sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Add your favorite cheese and bake for another 5 minutes or so.


I got this recipe from Deceptively Delicious and the muffin tin idea from one of my new favorite blogs...Make and Takes. Here's the link to the recipe.



DESSERT:

Root Beer Cookies


Cookie Dough:

1 cup butter
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp root beer extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup water (optional-only use if dough is too dry)



Directions: Cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the root beer extract. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add a little at a time to the creamed mixture. The dough should be slightly sticky. Chill for at least an hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease several baking sheets. Roll into small balls (about 1" diameter). I used a mini-ice cream scoop so that the cookies end up evenly sized. Place them on the pan, leaving a bit of space between the cookies. Gently press the tops of the dough. (If you leave out the water, sometimes the cookies don't spread very much.) Bake for 6-8 minutes, rotating cookie sheet halfway through. Let cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.

Cookie Frosting:

1 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp root beer extract
3 Tbsp hot water


Directions: Beat butter on high with an electric mixer until it is fluffy. Add a little powdered sugar and the root beer extract. Beat until smooth. Add remaining powdered sugar alternately with a little hot water until a nice spreading consistency has been reached. Frost the cooled cookies and let stand for a few minutes to let the frosting set up. (It should dry a bit on the top.) You can leave out the root beer extract and you'll have a tasty, soft brown sugar cookie.


I also got this recipe from Make and Takes...but the recipe was posted there by a guest blogger, Lindsey from Cafe Johnsonia.



How do you like my little helpers? It was a cold day that day so we just stayed in our PJ's all day and made cookies. My opinion on these cookies is that they are yummy and fun if you are in the mood for something different, but I probably won't make them very often because there are a lot of other cookies that I make that I like to eat much more than these. If I'm going to be eating sugar and butter than I'd rather it be in a chocolate chip cookie, you know what I mean?

MOVIE:

Twilight

I know there's a lot going around about this movie, but I just wanted to put in my two bits. I wrote a post about my experience of seeing the movie for the first two times in one day the evening before opening day. After that I didn't see it for a long time...not until it was in the dollar theater and Brad and I went to see it on a double date in February and I told Brad to go in with low expectations and he enjoyed it. We figured out that part of the reason he liked it more than other guys that we have talked to is because he read the book. So he was more invested in the characters and the storyline and less worried about the acting and special effects. Anyway, as you all know it came out on video last weekend and I bought the special two disc edition at Costco this week. It has lots of fun special features and it's nice to watch it at home where you don't have to deal with a critical audience laughing at the serious parts...that really bugged me the second time I saw it in the theaters. I like the cover picture below because Edward and Bella are smiling and they make them so serious in the movies.


Here are a few links that do a good job talking about this movie:

Hair Issues

Cool Twilight Premiere Party


Good Twilight Review

So, even though some of the acting is a little annoying in this first one I am thinking with a bigger budget and a different director the next one, New Moon, coming out 11-20-09, will be even better and the third and the fourth will hopefully continue to get better and better. Speaking of that, I've heard that the third one, Eclipse, is set to be released summer 2010.

No comments: