Monday, March 16, 2009

Hawaiian Chicken

6 chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (apple)
6 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 can crushed pineapple (with pineapple juice for a more sweeter sauce and without for a less sweet sauce)

Directions: Dip chicken in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder mixture. Put olive oil in pan then brown chicken and put in a 9x13 inch pan. Combine the remaining ingredients and thicken as needed with cornstarch. Pour over chicken and back at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. Serve over rice or a baked potato.

Note: A great variation on this recipe is to cut the chicken in half and then add some yummy vegetables instead and cook it in with the sauce.

Funny story: Brad grew up eating the rice pictured above, calling it brown rice, and thinking that it was brown grain rice. So, shortly after we were married Brad asked me why I was only making white rice and not brown rice. I grew up on brown rice, but I know that my family is different so I had just assumed that he would prefer white rice. So, I was pleasantly surprised at his request and I went out and got some whole grain rice and served it at dinner soon after that. Needless to say, he was surprised at what he was served and he did not really like it. After a little research with Brad's mother I found out that the "brown rice" Brad grew up on was really just white rice cooked with onion soup mix powder...and that is what is pictured above.

No comments: