Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Shredded Chicken

So I was going to try canning my own chicken, but the recipe I was planning on using said that I needed a pressure cooker and I only have a water bath canner. Unfortunately, I had already purchased the chicken and had let it thaw. So I decided to just cook it in my crock pot, shred it, and freeze it to be used at a later date.


I cooked it in the crock pot for about 7 or 8 hours with just a little bit of salt and one cup of broth. I checked it periodically throughout and broke it into chunks part way through and then after about 7 hours I shredded it up. After I cooled it down in the fridge I split it up (best to use Freezer Ziploc bags, but I was all out) and froze it. I found out that about 2 cups of boneless chicken is about 1 lb of chicken so I that's how I portioned it out and I had just enough for four pounds of chicken. I can't remember exactly how many boneless skinless chicken breasts I originally put into the crockpot, but if I were to guess I would have to say about 12-14...



Now I have 4 portions of yummy shredded chicken that can be added to many great recipes. Some that come to mind right away are chicken enchiladas, chicken salad, and Hawaiian hay stacks. I purchased the chicken at Costco for $2 a pound (10 lbs. for $20) and I also checked out the price of the Kirkland brand of canned chicken and it was about $11 for about 75 oz. or a little more than 4 1/2 lbs. which comes out to $2.34 per lb. So I'm not saving that much by doing it myself, but still...34 cents a pound can be worth it if you are on a tight budget.

No comments: