Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Apple Pie with Crumb Crust

I got this awesome recipe from Whatcha Got Cookin'? which is a fun blog for recipes. Mine ended up a little dark because I forgot to cover it for the last 10 minutes in the oven. Anyway, I love this pie because it's a fun twist on a normal apple pie...which can get a little boring. Plus this was fun to make and easy to decorate and make it look really cute!


Pie Filling:

6 to 8 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg

If apples lack tartness, sprinkle with about 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, spices, and a dash of salt. Mix with apples. Note: I just used the apple pie filling that I canned last summer.


Pie Crust:

2 1/2-3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup cold water

Mix first three ingredients with pastry blender (I use a fork). Beat egg, vinegar, and cold water then mix with first three ingredients. Makes one crust plus some extra (I used the extra to make my little star decorations). Line 9 inch pie plate with pastry crust. Fill with apple mixture.

Crumb Crust:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup firm butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix three ingredients together with a pastry cutter (I just use a fork) until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture in crust. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake in oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until done. Cover pie with aluminum foil the last 10 minutes of baking to avoid crust browning too quickly (I forgot to do this which is why my crust got a little dark).

No comments: